Monday, January 19, 2015

MLK Day 2015

If you have never read or listened to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech in its entirety then I encourage you to do so today. I did a few years ago and I found myself overcome with emotion due to the content of the speech and because of it's clear ordination by God. There are those who justify the violence, looting and rioting last summer in Ferguson by proclaiming rioting is the most effective tool of the disenfranchised. I vehemently disagree and apparently so did Dr. King in this excerpt from his most famous speech.

"In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force."

No comments:

Post a Comment